Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thoughts on society...

I live in (Southern) California in the United States of America.

I know that here, there is a sense of living in a personal bubble. We have our personal space. Take the grocery store....

I have noticed that people don't engage each other. They don't smile, they don't say hello or good-day. There is no acknowledgment that any other person exists.

My idea: To make it a habit smile and say hello to one person or more and smile and acknowledge, in some way, most everyone else when out in public.

Why: Opening a dialogue between people is one way to start promoting peace in our lives.

For instance... There are guys who sell newspapers on the corner of the streets in my town. Even if I don't buy a paper, I roll down my window and say hello and ask how they are. One guy in particular is a real treat to ask because he always says, "I am blessed." He asks how I am and I am always inclined to say, "I am blessed as well!" Seeing him, or any other newspaper fellow, now reminds me of how blessed I am. All of this from one connection a day!

Imagine the difference you can make if you reach out to a single person every day! (A tip: instead of saying "fine" or "okay" when someone asks how you are, find a bold word to use in its place. i.e. Awesome, great, blessed, fantastic, extraordinarily good, groovy, or fantabulous! And say it with a big smile!)

I dare you to reach out to one person every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment